Beet Salad with Almonds & Chives
By Calgary Farmers' Market
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, red, yellow and striped chioggia
- 1/4 cup slivered roasted almonds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh cut chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Place beets in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook 15-25 minutes until the beets are easily pierced with a fork. Drain, let cool. Slide off skins using a knife or your fingers.
- Cut beets into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add almonds, olive oil, chives, salt, lemon juice and toss gently.
- Sprinkle with feta and serve
If you find beets intimidating because of to the dark red juice, you can substitute in golden beets instead.