By Calgary Farmers' Market
Roasted in the oven or thrown on the grill, this tapenade-style delight would be marvelous on quinoa, warm pasta, pita, or even as a vegetable dip.
- Plenty of hungry party-goers
- 2 small Graffiti Eggplants
- 2 Garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 1 cup of Flat Leaf Parsely, chopped
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Use a knife to pierce half a dozen slits in each eggplant and stuff with the garlic slivers.
- Oil each eggplant and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast at 350°F, flipping them to prevent burning, until completely soft, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Halve the eggplants lengthwise and with a tablespoon, scoop out as much flesh as possible with the garlic cloves.
- Put it all in a food processor or a blender, adding the olives, the juice and zest of one lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Process until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning to wow your family and friends.
- Dollop on fresh baguette; we prefer the bread grilled to give that crunch to balance out the silky eggplant.
- Younger, smaller eggplants which are sweeter are preferable. Regardless of the size, pick eggplants that feel heavy, have a smooth and shiny skin, and a stem-end “hat” that looks green and fresh.