Instant Pot Bison Chili
- 4 Cups Cooked Kidney Beans
- 1.5 lbs Ground Bison from Bauer Meats
- 4-5 Strips Spragg's Bacon, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 2 Peppers, any colour, diced
- 500mL jar Soffritto's Roasted Tomatoes
- 250mL Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Spice Mixture (using Silk Road Spices)
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
Optional spices (but recommended):
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Mushroom Powder
- 1 tsp Poblano Powder
- Mix together spices and set aside.
- Turn on saute setting of Instant Pot, let heat, add 1 tbsp cooking oil. Saute bacon until just crispy on the edges. Remove bacon and set aside.
- With the fat still left in the Instant Pot, brown ground bison. Add salt and pepper to season the bison meat. Ensure bison is nicely browned to develop the flavour from the caramelized meat. Remove bison.
- In the same pot, add onion, garlic, jalapeno, peppers and saute. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes then add chicken broth and scrape up more browned bits to get all the flavour. Add roasted tomatoes and tomato paste. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add spice mixture, bacon, and bison. Stir all ingredients in the pot.
- Turn off Saute setting on your Instant Pot. Put the lid on and ensure the vent is set to “sealing”. Set your Instant Pot to “Chili” setting and cook for 20 minutes. Let the pot naturally release for 20 minutes, release the vent.