By Calgary Farmers' Market
- 3/4lb Shrimp, (21/25 count), peeled and deveined
- 3/4lb Scallops (10/20 count)
- 1lb Mussels
- 1lb Clams
- 1 pkg (454g) Chicken Chorizo
- 1 each Red & Green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup artichoke
- 1/2 cup peas, shucked
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine from
- 1/2tsp Saffron
- 1 cup Paella rice
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- Salt, Pepper, and Smoked Paprika, to taste
*all seafood sourced from Market Seafood and Specialty Meats
- 1 lemon
- A few swigs of Fennel Olive Oil
- Preheat frying with about 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Saute onions until lightly brown.
- Add the chicken chorizo and cook through. When cooked, set aside.
- Add a healthy glug of white wine to deglaze your pan.
- Add the rice and saffron, stirring for a minute or two. Stir until wine is absorbed.
- Add 2 cups of hot chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time. If you add cold stock to the pan, it takes much longer for the rice to absorb and keep coming back up to temperature. Heating your stock will ensure this is an easy (and speedy) dish.
- Stir rice as you add each 1/4 cup of stock until it is absorbed. This is the best time to pour yourself and your guests a glass of wine. Stir, sip, laugh. Repeat.
- Add the last cup of hot chicken stock.
- Stir in the cooked chicken chorizo.
- Arrange the seafood atop the rick, tucking the morsels of deliciousness in every spot you can.
- Bake in a 375ºF oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the mussels and clams open.
- Add the peas, artichoke, and tomato and bake for an additional two minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, lemon wedges, and Fennel olive oil.
Bring to the table in the pan and enjoy with friends. And maybe another bottle of wine ;)
- Atlantis Albarino (pronounced Al-bar-ee-nyo) is a grape variety indigenous to Spain. This wine is perfect if you love pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc and you’re looking for something new to try. It is fruitful & refreshing with a crisp and clean finish making it very food friendly, from salads to grilled meats, and especially paella! Find this wine (and other expertly paired recommendations) at Market Wines!